<VV> Torque settings for case bolts

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 13 15:01:41 EDT 2005

Quick question.  I'm using a new torque wrench (Craftsman) to
plastigage my main bearings.  I'm having a very difficult time
interpreting the given torque.  In the directions it states that at low
torque settings (whatever the hell those limits are were not stated) no
audible click will be heard but there will be a give in the handle.
Well, I torqued the case bolts to 25 lbs. and heard no click but felt
the give.   Then I reset to torque to 40 lbs.  The damn thing gave
almost immediately.  It just didn't seem to me that 25 and 40 should be
that close together (less than 1/8 of a turn).  I didn't even attempt
to go to 50.  I'll probably have to redo the whole thing as I suspect
the readings may be in error.

I re-mic'ed the crank with my new set of micrometers.

The main journals were  from the planetary gear back  #1 (0.225)   #2
(0.225)  #3 (0.235)  #4 (0.235) and the rod journals in the same order
front to back  #1(7.242)  #2 (7.241)  #3 (7.241)  #4 (7.241)  #5
(7.241)  #6 (7.242)

Stephen Upham