<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 13 16:21:47 EDT 2005

	OK.  I reset the crank in the block halves and re-plastigaged the
journals.  When I was torquing the bolts, there wasn't  1/4 of a turn
difference between 25 lbs. and 53 lbs.    That just seems strange.  Not
a good strange; like I've undertorqued the bolts strange.  It seems
like they are barely on there.  I can feel and see the wrench giving
though.
	How could that be the proper tightness for the bolts that hold
together a part of the car that is under such great torque stress from
the cylinder/rod combo trying to push it apart?

BTW When I was helping to put together the first rebuild, a lot more
physical force was used to tighten these bolts.  My three year old
nephew could have applied the force that took the wrench to 53 lbs.
today without breaking a sweat.  It just doesn't seem kosher.

Awaiting replies before taking the halves apart and measuring the
plastigage.

Stephen Upham