<VV> engine rebuild-safe removal of cylinder studs

David McMillan dmac632000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 13 23:48:50 EDT 2005

Based on the following replies...

"Do NOT remove the studs from the block. In fact, when
removing the heads, clamp the studs with a vice grip
and keep them from turning!” Later, JR

"dave-unless the studs are loose leave them alone. you
can really screw up the block if you try to remove
them.”   good luck-mike mann

“Do not remove the studs, ever!”  RonH

“Definitely follow the advice of the 1st reply (was it
JR?) & DO NOT remove the studs- you are just asking
for trouble otherwise...”  Dave Corvair Houston

“This is a complicated operation to be avoided unless
you REALLY plan on using an insert, so then otherwise
leave them alone.”  Regards, Larry

DON'T remove the studs!!!! Harry Yarnell

I definitely WON'T make the effort to remove the ones
that are intact. There ARE three (around one cylinder
of course!) that were MIA when I obtained the
engine...although the PO DID provide me with the
missing three later on when he found them. I think
they are oversized ones...

I was thinking it would be easier to get the halves
cleaned up once split. Being a novice amongst the
masters, what's the easiest method you use to clean
the block halves?

I know these question are mundane and seem trivial
(not to me!), but at least it's not about electric
fans <GGG>

Thanks to all who have replied so far.
Dave