Turbo Corvair Cooling Re: <VV>Has anyone on the list BOUGHT Tom's cooling system

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 19:31:27 EDT 2005

Crawford,
    I also observed 400 deg.F as the "normal" operating temp on my street
driven 180.  This was on the stock uncalibrated Corsa temp gauge and a relatively
stock engine (except for vacuum advance with electronic knock sensor retard).
 Under full load the temp would rise to 450 deg.F.  But here in NJ I wasn't
able to keep full load on the engine for very long since the penalty for
driving way above posted speeds is rather severe.
    My feeling is that the only reason GM "got away" with the cooling system
on the 180 was that the drivers couldn't keep the engine at full boost for
more than a short time before running out of road or encountering law enforcement
personnel (aka "cops").
    At the recent Convention, Tom Keosababian, when asked by some "busybody",
responded that in his Bonneville runs his water injection usage was 1/3 to
1/2 of his fuel consumption rate.  So obviously the stock fan setup was hardly
sufficient to handle the cooling for his high boost ultra high speed runs (157
mph on gasoline and 173 mph on propane.)
    Frank "busybody" Burkhard

In a message dated 8/12/05 6:37:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,