<VV> Carb Lumpy Cam Question (Sorry, only Corvair content)

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 11:59:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have an engine with a "lumpy" cam. I don't really know the specs on the cam because I didn't build the engine, but I know it isn't stock. It seems to be a mild street cam because it idles smoothly, just "lumpy." Now to the real question: The engine currently has a four barrel on a two runner intake manifold. The heads are 64 150 hp turbo heads. The four barrel is a Rochester four barrel, but I don't know the specs on it. (If you are getting the idea that I don't know much about the engine, you're correct. It came in the car.) The problem is that the engine has poor drivability. Coming off of idle it tends to bog and I really need to rev it to keep it from stalling when starting from a complete stop. Top end is fantastic and the car really hauls. (Typical four barrel operation.) But I drive the car in traffic and it is annoying to drive the car like I am always angry or just wanting to hot rod.

I am thinking of switching to Rochester Hs. I know I will loose some top end, which is not an issue. However, I want to keep some level of performance with the car. Because of the body (the engine is not in a stock Corvair shell) I cannot install 140 heads. So, (now to the real question) what would be the best set up for Rochester Hs on an engine with a lumpy street cam. I am thinking along the lines of a 65 carbs, small over bore through the carb throats (1/8 inch), certainly larger jets, but what else? I am more intent on using the Rochester Hs than on modifying the four barrel. I want decent low end with some level of high end performance.

Regards,
Joe White
Boulder, CO
CORSA, RMC