<VV> Re: Thermocouple mounting

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 17:22:53 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/15/2005 1:22:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:

As  others have suggested, you don't necessarily have to put the
thermocouple
under the plug.  Seth's suggestion to attach it to the  stock  sensor's
location is excellent.  I don't see any reason  why you couldn't  have two
sensors
and a switch and the thermocouples  are really inexpensive;  under $15 each.
Craig  N.

I ran a pair of thermocouples on the Lola/Vair - I took the Stewart Warner
"Sending" portion, the feed cable made from the two types of thermocouple wire,
 cut the 6 foot coupling wire portion in half, removed the plug ring,
installed a  3/8" ring terminal on the end of each pair, bolted into the stock head
sensor  mounts. I added new plugs and fed a DPDT mini-switch on the dash. (I
installed  the switch sideways, left was the left head, right was the right
side.) From  there, the output went to the gauge. I have heard, since, (the car
was built in  1989) that every place where two wires or terminals connect,
including, I  assume, inside the switch, there is some effect on the thermocouples
output, so  some effect on the gauge readings. I used the gauge for the same
usage that most  people use the stock gauge. I looked for changes, not the
actual reading  numbers. - I would check the gauges during start-up and warm up,
to make  sure the motor was warmed up before zinging it. One time I threw a
belt, and I  kept a sharp eye on the head temp until the end of the run.  -  Seth