<VV> electronic corvair conversion

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Aug 15 18:43:19 EDT 2005

That reminds me of the "Foolproof Way to Make a Million Dollars":

Step 1: Start with 2 million dollars

Without some serious technology, electrifying a vehicle just doesn't make sense. A buddy of mine with a failr strong engineering background has been
working for year on an electric Berkeley... a two passenger car that weighs 600lbs stock. So far, after years of devleopment, he's able to top 35mph and
have a range of almost 20 miles.... though more usually more like 12.

To do this correctly you have to use and recycle every joule of potential engery... regenerative braking, etc.. much too complicated for the casual (or even
semi-casual) builder. Plus battery technology has not changed much over the past several years, so you're still faced with the same inefficiencies with the
batteries and the motor.

And even if you suceeded in coming up with a workable system, since most of our energy comes from coal-fired and natural gas plants, you're only moving
the creation of the pollution elsewhere. Only if we heavily relied on nuclear power would this make much ecological sense.

Gasoline (or diesel) is still the most viable option. If you really wanted to go down this road you'd want a biodiesel hybrid... IMO. And I'd sugest you'd NEVER
recoup your costs in any sort of savings... even the car companies can't make hybrids work... they cost more to build and run over "normal" cars that you
could never recoup the energy by savings... it's sort of like solar cells... more energy goes into making a solar cell than they will likely ever produce over
their lifetime. But folks love pseudoscience...

Bill Elliott