<VV> 66 corsa turbo rebuiild PARTS- need advice please.

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Mon Aug 15 19:23:25 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <Patinacreme at aol.com>
Subject: <VV> 66 corsa turbo rebuiild PARTS- need advice please.

> OK guys,
>
> I would like to soup up the engine but still drive on the road.
> any suggestions guys?
*********
If you are going to keep it turbo-ized, you dont need a bigger engine ....
in fact, it might be good to keep the thickest walls than clean up ok ...

the amount you want to { hop up } your car might depend on how fast you want
to go, and how much $$$ you have to get to that goal.

The stock turbo rig is pretty close to being about right for the street ...
it has a relatively big exhaust turbo housing, which only means that you
have to start 3 seconds earlier to pass a car on a 2 lane ... the rest of
the time you can drive normally to the grocery store, and use the low
compression to keep the engine cool and avoid the valve seats falling out
etc. etc.

If you want to hot rod a reasonable bit, put a SU carb 2 inch ( or even a
1.75 inch intake ) on an adapter instead of the factory Carter YH, which is
a real test of patience ( my opinion ) .....   The SU design is about 100
years old, doesnt promise much in the way of perfect low and mid range, but
always at least runs, and top end is just wide open anyway (g) ...

Spend your money on reliability if you are going to let that turbo genie out
of it's stocker bottle ... (g) ... here's my incomplete list of goodies you
might consider:
 1) ... a Safeguard anti-knock/detonation ignition from American Pi ...
there are other similar sparkboxes coming along, but this one is available
now, and works... don't leave home without it.
  2) a conversion to a vacuum advance distributor so you can get 27 mpg and
help pay for the Safeguard (g) ....
3) Great Pistons and rings ...  out of my league here, but good old TRW
forged are a start if you want only a mild hop up ...   as in 5-7 lbs boost
coming in earlier and staying later ( with your bigger carburetor as above
.. ) if you wanna " go for it"  better call .. say ... Warren LeVeque and
ask for the piston of the week ....
4) a triple redundant water injection system/scheme .. doesn[t have to be
real smart, or real expensive, but has to be real reliable ( of course a
boost-dumping switch would be good if the water injector goes bad .. ) ...
the water injection is very nice when you can't find a 92 +++ octane pump,
and you develop a neeeed for speeed ...
5)  If you haven't rode in a stocker turbo vair, find an owner and beg (
buy ) an hour or 2 ride, and you might decide it's about right for street
fun as is ... or you just might catch " the mist " disease and raise your
budget up to aim for that 2 atmosphere boost level where everything starts
to sound like it's going to break ....