<VV> Thermisters

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 01:25:53 EDT 2005

<snip>
If there is a problem with finding temp. sending units,  has anyone tried the
cylinder head temp. sensing unit from a Type 3  (Squareback or Fastback)
Volkswagen? Don't know how the thing shows up under  calibration but the
curve
seems right or similar to that on newer American  OR Bosch Water temp.
sensors.
It would have to be rethreaded to fit SAE  threads. Scotty <unsnip>

Well Scotty, I don't know if anyone has taken a look at that one or not
but...  My '65 happens to be a Corsa with a regular thermister  and dash gauge and
it also has a Datsun/Bosch EFI that uses a VW head  temperature sender!  I
went out and measured the resistance of the Bosch  sending unit at ambient (80F)
and it was 2400 ohms.  Hmm, that's pretty  close to what an AC unit would be.
 I ran the engine for a bit and the  resistance was down to 600 ohms - the
resistance was moving in the right  direction.  It won't take much work at all
to install an A/B switch and  compare gauge readings between these two sending
units.  I don't know when  I'll be able to get to it, but I seem to have an
ideal setup right in  hand!
Craig Nicol