<VV> Oil filter gasket design

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Aug 16 12:47:58 EDT 2005

>If you crank down the mounting bolt hard  enough to get that inner gasket
>to seal (the spec calls for 15 - 20 ft. lbs
>and it will likely take more than that) you run the risk of splitting that
>outer, U shaped gasket

Anyone have a split outer gasket ? Would be interesting to see what the
edges of the split look like (lateral stress on outer surface is my guess).
Might be the thickness of the U and not so much the U shape.You do not
normally split a gasket with compression. at least not at 15-20 ft-lbs
(about like a spark plug).

Padgett