<VV> Oil filter gasket design

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 13:47:50 EDT 2005

Lonzo; et al,

The use of a paper gasket may solve one problem but create another.  My
understanding of the problem is that the outer gasket seals before the inner
gasket.  If you crank down on the bolt enough to make the inner gasket seal, the
outer gasket is cut between the edge of the filter and the mounting surface.  If
you use a paper gasket on the outer seal, it may be too thin to seal.  In
effect, the inner gasket is thick enough that it will fully compress before the
paper gasket is compressed.  Maybe the outer edge makes contact soon enough that
this is not a problem but there may also be variations from production run to
the next that causes a problem.

As I see it, both seals need to be sufficiently compressible to allow both
seals to seat properly.  Considering the method of mounting, the outer seal
needs to make contact first unless the inner seal is quite compressible.  Even
then, the outer paper seal may seal at idle but spurt at higher speeds when the
oil pressure increases.

Any ideas on this?

Doc
In a message dated 8/16/2005 8:25:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,