<VV> Alternate fuels

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 14:55:39 EDT 2005

-----  The vairs are
> > my best mileage vehicles, the orange car has been
> set very lean.
> > Only need to produce 50 miles worth of fuel a
> week.-----

HEy guys,
Unless you're doing it for fun, there's a serious
economic roadblock to alternate fuels. Rolling some
basic numbers here, I'd say a reasonable round number
for Corvair mileage is 25 mpg. If you're getting
exactly the same mileage and maintenance costs from an
AVAILABLE alternative fuel that cost 45 cents (15%
less at next month's prices for premium)  and using
only two gallons per week, how long will it take you
to pay back whatever mods you need to make at $0.90 a
week????
If you use one full tank per week,  a $6.30 savings
looks like a better investment, but that is still only
$327 per year...given equal mileage and availability
of your fuel.
So it costs $1k and you free labor and engineering to
convert. That's three years to pay back BEFORE you
save a penny.
You are better off installing an engine and delivery
system designed to run off your alternate fuel. Now
you have the same economic problem.

Chuck Kubin