<VV> Grades

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet at charter.net
Tue Aug 16 21:10:23 EDT 2005

> The design limit is 6% but exceptions are granted. Many truckers (my son
> is one) consider Sandstone Mountain on I-64 near my hometown of Beckley WV
> to be one of the hardest to negotiate. Watch your rear-view mirror for
> fast approaching trucks with smoking brakes on this stretch of interstate.
> Following is an exchange I copied from a trucker website.   Wade Halsey

I love Sandstone Mountain! Drove it twice a week for about 6 months when I
was working in Va. Always a truck stuck in the emergency gravel pits.
Sometimes I saw a group of people looking over the side where a section of
guard rail was missing. Big ass wreckers working in tandum pulling what was
left of a tanker back up the drop off.
I had a Dodge Shadow then with the Mitsubishi 3 litre V6 and a five speed.
Good little quick road car. It would embrass a 5.0 Rustang at the light if
he wasn't paying attention. For entertainment I would set the cruise on 80
at the bottom and see if I could top the mountain without having to release
it. Did it many times and no tickets. Lucky!

Chugging up Fancy Gap mountain on I-77 In Va. with my 360 Dodge truck,
trailer and V8 Vair on board was a good test.

Flat Top mountain on I-77 N. in WV is another good one. Going up the grade
is deceptive and long. Has a flat section part way up for a breather.

Rick Norris