<VV> Electronic Fuel Injection

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Tue Aug 16 23:12:19 EDT 2005

Jim Simpson, wrote:

> Subject: <VV> Electronic Fuel Injection
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:15:57 -0400
> From: Jim Simpson <simpsonj at bellatlantic.net>
> To: Sethracer at aol.com
> CC: virtualvairs at skiblack.com
>
> Seth -- take a look at the MegaSquirt project.  (Their info page
> is:  http://www.megasquirt.info/ )  It's been out for a year or two now and
> I've been giving it serious consideration for the basis for building a fuel
> injected turbo engine.  Just don't have the time/place right now for the
> project.
>
> MegaSquirt was just written up in Grass Roots Motorsports -- the issue that
> just came out.
>
> Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, stock '66 turbo

I'm designing a bolt-on TBI system for a street stock 140 HP Corsa.  The
engine controller will be a highly custom version of the Megasquirt
hardware and software.  Four TBI units in the stock locations with dual
bank injection and dual O2 NB sensors.  Secondary TBI air valves will be
mechanically progressive opening similar to the stock 140 HP carb
setup.  Secondary fuel injection will be progressive also, based on TPS
and MAP values.  After the secondary TPS and MAP trip points are
reached, secondary TBI fuel delivery will be a percentage of the
calculated primary TBI value.  I'm still undecided about the head
temperature sensor, thermistor or thermocouple.  With custom hardware
and software either is possible.  The biggest effort will be rewriting
the software to use separate O2 sensor feedback for each bank.  This is
primary a electronics project and is much different than just
configuring ECM tables or burning new PROMs.

Seth, what's the HC and CO spec?  Can I use my own custom gasoline blend
to meet them?  :-)  And, no this project will not be done anytime soon!

John Dozsa