<VV> Effect of Reduced Quench on Jet Size and Timimg

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 15:41:53 EDT 2005

Welcome to the wonderful world of more efficient head design.  12:1 is  still
way too rich, my '66 EFI car is regulated to 14.8 which is still on the  rich
side of the high fuel economy target ratio of 15:1 to 16:1.  At 14.8,  I have
no trouble at all with pre-ignition under any condition; climbing grades  at
103 degree ambient for example.  Just like yours, this engine also has  the
.032 squish modification and 9.25:1 C/R.

Just to double check the AFR, I'd take a look at the plugs and check the
color of the insulators.  Light tan color is what you want and the  surrounding
metal should not have a thick carbon coating.  One way to get  the AFR down
without going to smaller jets is to install exhaust headers.   This has the
*unfortunate* effect of increasing horsepower but what that means  is that you will
need less throttle for a given roadspeed, i.e. more fuel  economy.

If you have darker-brown color plugs on all six, there's no  reason to doubt
the AFR gauge and you need to install smaller jets (or headers)  to get the
AFR up to the high 14s.
Craig Nicol