<VV> Brake shoes

Sebastian Denault corvairguy74 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:27:54 EDT 2005

Continuing the brake job on my '65 Corsa coupe, I decided that it could use
a new set of brake shoes. I went to the local auto supply store (Schuck's)
and started out with the front shoes. They asked what type of car, I replied
"1965 Chevrolet Corvair," and then they asked if it was turbo or not. Mine
is a turbo, so my reply reflected this fact, and the sales associate
returned with a box of brake shoes which I took home and installed without
any problems. I didn't think that the fact that my car was turbocharged
would make a difference, since Clark's sells the same brake shoes for all
years of car regardless of whether they're turbo. However when I returned a
few days later for the rear shoes and requested the ones for the same
vehicle, they handed me a box of shoes that were completely incorrect for my
car. They were enormous and didn't have provisions for attaching the
emergency brake lever. I returned them because I figured they had just
grabbed the wrong set, but they informed me that these were the correct
shoes listed! Has this ever happened to anyone else? Did it make a
difference that I said it was turbo?