<VV> Right rear brake hanging up

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 18:41:14 EDT 2005

Folks,

I have been working on my 62 Monza again more since my broken ankle has
healed and I am walking on two feet.  I started the work on this car  (prior to
the broken ankle) by changing out the emergency brake cable that had  separated.
 After months of not running, I had some carburetor problems,  but they were
solved by Grant Young, (thanks Grant).  I was tuning her up  this past
weekend, got it to idle pretty well and balanced the carbs, so took it  out to check
her out.  No go - it wouldn't accelerate worth a flip.  I  drove back to the
house (this was a short spin down the road) and suspecting a  brake problem,
jacked her up.

Sure enough the right rear wheel would not turn.  I know it did  (turned)
when under power, but it surely was protesting.  I took the brakes  apart and
couldn't find any thing wrong.  Had my son pull the emergency  brake lever as far
as he could (and then release) and noticed that I couldn't  see any
appreciable movement.  I applied some AeroKroil penetrant at the  ends where the cross
cable goes into the cable shield that it runs through  (pulled the rubber
protectors off to expose this).  This didn't result in  any change in movement
when pulling and releasing the emergency brake  lever.  I'm thinking that the
emergency brake actuating lever is part of  the problem.  All parts are clean and
not rusty.  I wonder if there is  some friction occurring between the
actuating lever and the rear brake shoe  surface.  Would some sort of lubricant
between the bearing surfaces  help.

Has anyone else run up on a similar situation.  I would appreciate any  and
all suggestions on this.  I hope to have her up and running for this  coming
Saturday afternoon.  There is an impromptu rod and antique cruise to  be held in
Lafayette, LA.  I will have some family down and would like  to bring them to
see this.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
62 Monza Coupe