<VV> Corvair FI

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 17 21:01:24 EDT 2005

>------the Corvair engine is a natural for an FI
>conversion.(It is missing some of the nice areas for sensor mounting!) There
>have been millions of similar sized motors built with FI since the end of
>Corvair production.

Looking at the Corvair, particularly the 110 but the 140 is not much better
at cruise because the carbs are progressive, you are going to get a broad
range of mixtures because it is just a log manifold with a poorly
controlled leak off center. Figure that gas is just dripping out and making
a puddle in the manifold and a good piece of the mixture is from that
puddle evaporating.

My aunchent Corsa really ran sweetly with a single center mounted Quadrajet
because even though it was still a piddler, the tiny triple venturi
primaries were much advanced over the "H", the puddle was in the center of
the engine, and fed evenly to all four holes with lotsa time for
evaporation/atomization before it ever reached the manifold.

Now there is no question that direct port injection is best: spray it on
the valve and it will get into the cyl. Immediately. However for a Corvair
that is going to require significant machining so my thought is more along
the lines of a DIY project that should not cost more than $200-$250 to
convert provided enough good used parts are available and that mean 80's
TBI (throttle body injection). Not great but potentially cheap and suspect
the difference may be incremental. I like cheap.

Just performed a mini-dig down a few decades in the back garage and came up
with two items
1) Hawk air fuel analyzer (not for use with a catalytic converter)
2) Autocomp 8000A computer with instantaneous and average MPG readout (in
red leds 8*) NIB  (also found a NIB Prince On Board Computer but that has
too many buttons - I tend to acquire interesting electronics).

So two essential pieces of instrumentation found even if not strictly
laboratory quality.

Have figured out most of it but is going to be one piece of unavoidable
machining: installation of a O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe.

Now all I need is the car.

Padgett