<VV> Re: replacing a three speed with a four speed (corvairs)

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Thu Aug 18 19:54:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:28:01 -0500 (CDT), Gary Segal wrote:

>  Actually, you can retain the original 3-speed suspension crossmember if you do a little cutting and welding.  The early 4 speed transmission is longer than the
3 speed, hence the need for the additional clearance.  I have installed 4 speed into 3 speed cars before by first cutting away the lower lip of the crossmember,
then heating and bending the crossmember wall that faces the transmission to create the clearance.  Just make sure you have enough space to clear the
transmission in the worst case (no alignment shims.

My first Corvair (a beautiful '62 coupe... yes I've owned and driven earlies!) had a 4 speed installed with the 3sp crossmember WITHOUT any significant
modification.  That bit of wierdness (which prelaoded the engine at a 10-15% angle and caused severe clutch shudder) along with the nonfunctioning rear
brakes (or handbrake) really made for an interesting ride.

Not sure which is the bigger puzzle..how I didn't kill myself with it... or why I got "hooked" on Corvairs despite of it. The answer to both questions might be that it
was generally a better and safer driver than most of my British cars of the same era... ;-)

Bill