<VV> Re: Alternate fuels-corvair conversion

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 15:05:23 EDT 2005

John,
       My figures included density correction since they were based on energy
content per GALLON.  The problem comes from the fact that thanks to
governmental interference (like the EPA and CARB et al.) there are DOZENS of different
gasoline compositions throughout the USA so gasoline has varying energy
content, depending on the exact composition you are dealing with.  Even propane as
commercially sold is not pure C3H8 but also includes small quantities of other
hydrocarbons (such as butane) which affect the heating value.  Anyway,
according to "High Performance Automotive Fuels & Fluids", "Propane contains 91,500
BTU per gallon; gasoline ranges from 113,000 to 147,000 BTU per gallon."
Therefore, depending on the specific gasoline being considered, a gallon of liquid
propane has anywhere from 81% to 62% of the heating value of the equivalent
volume of gasoline.  So I'd say that liquid propane has about 3/4 of the
heating value of gasoline on a VOLUME basis.
       The same book cited above states that "The majority of propane and LP
gas in the US comes from natural gas wells and processing plants......"
"Another one third of US propane is a byproduct of gasoline refining."  So 1/3 DOES
come from petroleum processing.  Having personally started up a number of
natural gas wells, I can assure you that the raw gas from these wells is a far
cry from the purified natural gas delivered to our homes and industries.  One of
these wells even had 65% carbon dioxide in the raw gas leaving the well.
Another one had 70,000 ppm of hydrogen sulfide, so dangerous that we had to carry
gas masks at all times.  But virtually ALL these gas wells contain heavier
hydrocarbons than the methane (CH4) that is the main product in the gas entering
our homes.  And that's where the bulk of our propane comes from.
       So propane is a fine fuel for possible conversion IF the economics
justify its use to replace gasoline.
       Regards,
       Frank "chemically speaking" Burkhard