<VV> Re: Electronic Vairs

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Aug 21 16:35:29 EDT 2005

Not to argue but at $3,800+ for a battery pack seriously adds to the total
cost of operation a $20,000 vehicle.  Maybe you friend will just trade it
at 95,000 miles, but with the new owner looking at nearly $4,000 to keep it
on the road what so you think he will be able to sell it for?
Being on the leading edge cost lots of money.  Using old outdated
technology is cheep, even if the maintenance cost are somewhat higher. We
just need to find a battery with the electric density about 4 times
lead/acid the economy of scale will make fairly cheep and half of the US
will be electric.
Solar cells of the late 70's had efficiencies of 8% now they  nearly
15%.  When they get to 50% and the cost come down to about $1,000 per KW it
makes since but at $0.07 per KWH. it makes no sense to install even if they
were given to you.  You have to figure the storage, maintenance, and
interface cost also.
Jim Davis