Electric vs. Gasoline Re: <VV> Re: Electronic Vairs

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 22:39:51 EDT 2005

Tim,
       OK, let's take a look at the relative economics of what you've done.
You say $1.30 for electricity to travel 30 miles which means 4+ cents per mile
for electric charging.  Since this is a limited trip vehicle you'll probably
put only about 5000 miles a year on these batteries.  At 5 years that would
give you 25,000 miles on one set of batteries which costs you 8 cents per mile
for the batteries.  In addition, your cost for the conversion was $6000.  Even
if your vehicle lasts 200,000 miles (exclusive of batteries) the conversion
cost is 3 cents a mile.  Add up these three costs and you get 4 + 8 + 3 = 15
cents per mile.
       At $2.80 per gallon for gas and averaging 25 miles per gallon gives
you only 11 cents per mile.  I agree tune-ups, oil changes et al. will add a
couple of cents to that but it still looks like your electric
conversion/operation would still not be competitive until gasoline prices go up a lot further.
       This type of electric vehicle is limited to driving short trips
perhaps to fairly close by work or to a train station to catch the train to work.
But, for example, I drove 84 miles roundtrip to work and there was NO place in
the parking lot at work where I could "recharge".  When I drive to visit son
Jim (327 miles away), it takes about 12 gallons of gas and requires NO
stopping.  In your electric vehicle, I'd have to stop at least 4 times for a recharge
and what gas station will let me "plug in" for hours at a time?  Even at
"only" 2 hours per charge it would add 8 extra hours of waiting (plus driving time)
to what now takes me only 5-1/2 hours total.
       Seems to me that a hybrid car makes more sense for most of us than an
electric conversion unless you can come up with lower cost electricity (solar
cells?) and/or much better batteries (nickel metal hydride or lithium ion?)
       Thanks for supplying us with your REAL world experience,
       Frank Burkhard