<VV> What *could* be damaged by reversing the battery?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 23 20:54:04 EDT 2005

At 01:41 hours 08/23/2005, LonzoVair at aol.com wrote:
>Hey guys,
>I just found a nice Corvair, but the idiot owner has installed the battery
>positive ground... what could possibly be broken/burnt up?

Alternator, radio (if they left it hooked up long enough to kill the
alt diodes and then turned on the ignition and radio) and maybe a
fuseable link if the alt held on for dear life and refused to cook
off.    Usually something bad happens which causes either the BAT
wire to melt or the owner witnesses the error of his ways and pulls
the battery cable off.

>It's a 110hp with a Pertronix....

...which may or may not have fried...  same reason as above.   If so,
only the "brain box" is likely to suffer and even then it's not
certain that it suffered any damage at all.

>I need to know what I need to bring with me to fix it and drive it off once
>the paperwork is transferred into my name... I know I'll need to replace the
>fusable link to the horrid plastic thingy... maybe the pertronix, I
>don't know...
>Any clues?

You shouldn't need to deal with the HLPT, which isn't inline with
anything that could cause a huge current drain from a
backwards-installed battery.    Again, if the cars electrical system
was intact, the battery wouldn't have remained hooked up backwards
for long; sparks, smoke, pops and cracks would result and the owner
would have yanked the cable  back off if he had a lick of sense at
all.   Even if he did not, I'd expect that the worst that would
happen would be the alt burning up, and possibly the alt BAT wire
would burn the insulation off, fuse into a solid wire, and then
either burn in half or rapidly discharge the battery to nothing,
depending on how good the battery was.   Either way, some fireworks
and sound effects would have resulted which should have prompted ANY
normal person to cease and desist.

...I know a nimrod who did this once, made a mess of his alternator
and cooked the BAT wire into a gooy rod before the battery terminal
burned the frayed end of the BAT wire off.   This cars ignition
hadn't been turned on, so nothing else suffered any woes.

I'd take a 2 foot length of heavy wire to replace (if necessary) the
alt to BAT wire (which may or may not be burned).   I'd take a
battery and a standard tool kit.  Take an alternator with you if you
feel unfortunate.

I'd first hook up the battery cables *correctly* to the battery with
the ignition switch OFF and see if anything sparked or smoked etc.

If you get a spark/pop, unhook the alt to BAT wire and see if the
spark/pop is still there when you put the battery terminals back on
again.   If it's gone, you can bet the alternator is too.   After
that, you can start checking other things like the radio
etc.     I've seen older Delco AM radios actually survive reverse
polarity situations with no ill effects but this is no guarantee.

However:

With any luck at all, you'll get off with just a bad alternator or
maybe with nothing at all, and with a good battery the car might just
start up and run.

>Thanks guys... oh, it was only $500... and I have a receipt from him
>already...

Welcome to the relatively small but prestigious list of '69 Vair
owners.   :)

tony..