<VV> Fuel economy improvements for your Corvair (NO CORVAIR)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Aug 23 20:00:05 EDT 2005

Any number of Corvair vendors can handle the work and the development  work
done by myself and many others is well documented in Bob Helt's book "The
Classic Corvair". At a minimum, Wheelerizing, Ray Sedman, Larry Shaprio, and Bob
Coffin can handle these modifications or you can do them yourself (except the
milling) following the information in Helt's TCC.

In a nutshell:
Inlet ports nothing or optional polish.

Exhaust ports: ports-nothing, exhaust system: 140 duals minimum or
preferably headers.

Chamber: remove gasket step, increase remaining area to 49-50ccs give or
take depending on how oversize your pistons are (target 9.25:1 compression
ratio), unshroud intake and exhaust valves, remove sharp edges.  An  alternate
approach is to have the pistons cut under the chamber to get back the  lost
chamber volume and then unshroud valves and remove sharp edges.  Sharp  edges
include: spark plug threads, chamber perimeter by head gasket, use of  copper head
gaskets (blunt edge). Index spark plugs (or check  index)

Head gasket: .032 copper.  Check deck heights and evenly shim  cylinders if
needed to get the least on a side up to .000 deck height.

Optionally, you might want to install pushrods that are shorter according  to
the amount removed by milling the heads.  This will regain optimum  rocker
arm geometry.

I have done this many times, the most radical was a 10:1 110 in a 65
Greenbrier (last owned by Gerry Broyles of New Mexico). That one was a real  honey
and the high compression wasn't a problem at all on goo premium  fuel.

How do we do that? Where do we find info on how to modify the inlet  ports
and chamber to get the proper squish, tumble and swirl?
Chuck  S