<VV> Corvair Fuel Economy

Vukas, Robert robert.vukas at jostens.com
Tue Aug 23 17:56:47 EDT 2005

My personal best mileage was 23 mpg at 65 and 70 mph on the highway.
Since that time I have two new rebuilt carburetors, a cooling system
that now functions, a tune up with a Pertronix Flamethrower Coil, siped
tires, a K&N air filter and have switched to synthetic Oil. I will check
the gas mileage on the way to the show in Wichita at the end of
September.

These are excerpts from the Google search I just ran:

By the time the Corvair made its debut in late 1959, it carried a tag of
$1,810 for a base coupe. It had a 108-inch wheelbase, and a total length
of 180 inches. Fuel economy was rated at about 27 miles per gallon on a
Mobilgas economy run (there was no EPA city/highway cycle, natch). The
fuel-tank capacity was 11 gallons.

FIRST - A stock Corvair delivered a great 27.03 MPG in the 1960 Mobilgas
Economy Run

The whole Ultra Van is light enough to run on four inexpensive, easy to
find, 14" automobile tires. Unlike the huge bus tires used on many
motorhomes, these can be changed easily on the road by anyone with a
simple car jack and tire wrench. Ready for the road, with fuel, water,
food and two people aboard, the Ultra Van usually weighs under 5,000
pounds, contributing greatly to the fuel economy of 15 to 18 miles per
gallon achieved by most Ultra owners traveling 55 to 65 miles per hour.

Bob Vukas

bowtieguy at cox.net