<VV> What *could* be damaged by reversing the battery?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 24 02:03:35 EDT 2005

At 04:42 hours 08/23/2005, Bill Elliott wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:54:04 -0700, Tony Underwood wrote:
>
> >At 01:41 hours 08/23/2005, LonzoVair at aol.com wrote:
> >>Hey guys,
> >>I just found a nice Corvair, but the idiot owner has installed the battery
> >>positive ground... what could possibly be broken/burnt up?
>

>With British cars (positive ground in some cases anyway) reverse
>hookups are the normal course of
>events. If left for long the battery (and maybe the fuel gauge) will
>be dead and if it was an alternator
>instead of a a generator it will likely be dead as well.
>
>I have a Mini that would have originally been positive ground that
>was imported without a battery, so we
>really had no idea if it had been converted. The fuel pump works
>either way, the wiper motor was already
>dead, the fuel gauge didn't work... so we hooked it up as a negative
>ground and just went with it. So far,
>so good.

One of my brothers (half-brother and also a nimrod) bought a '64 Vair
500 coupe from the insurance man (who had Vairs and '62 V6 Buick
Specials) and bro had to buy a battery for it, ran it about 7 months
before ramming a bridge abutment with it and pretty much ruined the
car.    I ended up with it... still started and ran etc but the front
end was wiped out.    The car was pretty much parts, (had plywood
floors) so I began dismantling it... and noticed that the battery was
in backwards and had been since bro' had bought the battery 7 months
before.   His only complaint was that the radio never worked after he
put the battery in the car.    Fuse was blown.

The car had run for 7 months with the battery in backwards, and it
was charging the battery (generators do this sort of thing) just fine
the whole time.   Of course, since nothing in the car was
polarity-specific-damageable (radio was inop) it ran just fine the
whole time and bro was never the wiser (and still isn't).

You could get away with this in an early model...  but not anything
with an alternator.    However, a generator will usually repolarize
itself and not think twice.

tony..