<VV>Price of gas

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Wed Aug 24 01:15:24 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Padgett" <pp2 at 6007.us>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 6:06 PM
Subject: <VV>Price of gas

>>Anyone remember the Gulf Gas commercials in the 60's when the guy pulls up
>>to the pump with a Corvair and asks for 59 cents worth???
>
> In 1967 that was near three gallons and AFAIR I was making $250/month.
>
> Padgett
In 1967 I was working at a Gulf station on US Rt 21 just south of the Ohio
turnpike...we were getting 32.9, 34.9 and 36.9 for Gulftane, Good Gulf and
No-Nox.  I-77 ended just south of there, and all the West Virginians heading
to Cleveland to look for work or visit their relatives came in for a
dollar's worth and to ask how far it was to Cleveland.
In 1970 I got my first Corvair, a 1963.  I could fill the tank for $3, also
get a carton of cigarettes for $3.  Was taking home $100 a week working in a
machine shop and thought life was good.
Mike Ioanes