<VV> MPG Hystery

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Wed Aug 24 08:53:07 EDT 2005

Ron,

I am guessing you never have participated in a Corvair Econorun.  The difference isn't the evil, cheating Corvair drivers . . . the rules are quite different.  I navigated for the winning car at the Iowa Mini Econorun 42.9 mpg out of a 61 80 hp PG sedan . . . and we didn't use every opportunity to save gas.

A major factor was that we left topped off to the top of the filler neck.  When we finished the officials filled the car until the pump clicked off, which gave us an extra pint of gas.  The speeds are a lot slower.  We had 3 hours to complete 86 miles, that is less than a 30 mph average. The differences in mpg at 30 and 45 mph are significant.

There is a lot of coasting and time with the engine shut off, I am not sure how much of that was allowed in the Mobil event.  AeroNed got over 35 mpg out of his 140 Corsa, said he never took it over 2,000 rpm.

You are not comparing apples to apples, it is like saying how does Tom K. go 170 mph when my Corvair will only do 120?  Is he cheating?

Terry Kalp