<VV> MPG -$$ are not the point

boB bobquincy at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 24 21:29:42 EDT 2005

The DustBuster minivans also had a big aerodynamic advantage over the
Corvair (and almost everything else).  My '94 Z28 gets about 27 mpg on the
long cruise from Northern Florida to North Carolina, partly due to aero and
partly due to a cruising rpm of 1300 (6 speed).  The 5.7 liter is running
at high vacuum and is barely turning, and the road is very
flat.  Acceleration in 6th is also very flat.

There might be some savings from not powering a cooling fan too.  Other
than that all of these ideas should work on a Corvair but it takes a lot of
$$$ and work.  For what we might spend it may be a wash to install a
complete 911 3.6 drivetrain.  I know, it's not the Corvair way, but it is
probably what GM would have arrived at had development
continued.  Especially if the Corvair had taken Camaro's place in Trans-Am!

boB

 >The second big MPG advantage modern cars have is very low RPM cruising
 >speed with overdrive transmissions.  My 95 Trans Sport does 60 mph at 1800
 >rpm whereas my Corvair does the same 60 mph at 3000 rpm.  That's another
reason
 >why the Trans Sport despite having a 40% larger engine (3.8 liters) and
about
 >40% more weight can easily better the Corvair's MPG.  On a long trip to
Jim's