<VV> MPG Hystery [sic]

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Aug 24 22:29:09 EDT 2005

Hello to those interested in MPG, here is a well documented data point:

Sunday I made a 275 mile round trip to bring some Jr. high youth (4 girls
w/ luggage) to a church camp outing in our '65 Greenbrier.  Wind was
blowing 20-30 MPH from the NW the whole time off Lake Superior as I made
the trip South then East to, then West and North on return (Hancock, MI to
near Munising, MI and return).  I drove mostly at 60-65 MPH when possible
(approx 3/4 of distance) and 55 MPH the remainder. I recorded 21.1 MPG for
this trip using BP/Amoco 92 octane fuel.  Our GB has a 110/4-sp/3.27 posi
drivetrain. Tires are 215/65R15 Pirelli P4000's.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI

PS, A true test of an alternate (electric) fan system would be to drive an
FC against a 35 MPH headwind at 65-70 MPH road speed for 300 miles (forget
mountains/hills). Even with a 65 F ambient temperature, I recorded the
highest cyl head temps of the entire trip under these conditions in North
Dakota while on our trip to/from Portland. (MPG on this leg 17.5)