<VV> Easy brake question

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Aug 26 12:10:57 EDT 2005

My daughter has an "Easy Bake", is that the same thing?  Oops, back to
serious-mode: I'd check for a broken spring.  In the forward direction,  Corvair
drum brakes "self-energize" meaning that they apply themselves to some  degree.
Something is making one or more of your brake shoes drag.   Rotate each wheel
with the car lifted to discover the problem wheel.  If  it's just the rear
wheels, suspect the parking brake. If it's just one wheel,  take that wheel off
and take a look.  If it's all the wheels, suspect a  sticking or mis-adjusted
master cylinder. This doesn't happen when the car is  going backwards because
the brakes don't self-energize in that direction.   Keep us posted!
Craig Nicol

<snip>What would cause the rear brakes on an early to lockup when  driving
forward (even without pedal pressure), but not when driving  backwards?  Shoes
on backward?  Adjusted too tight or too loose?

Thanks in  advance,
Travis
<unsnip>