<VV> tightening a telescopic wheel

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Aug 26 12:48:42 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/26/2005 9:24:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rndracing at mebbs.com writes:

I have a  telescopic in one of my Corvairs and the steering wheel is a
little loose  on the shaft.  How do I remove the horn button without
damaging it  and once it is off what are the steps to tighten the wheel.
Thanks,  Ray

Ray - It depends on what is loose. Is the Hub loose on the upper
(telescoping) part of the shaft? - If so, there is a nut that you will have to  snug
down. To get to that, however, you will have to disassenble a bunch of  stuff at
the top of the column. FIRST - disconnect the battery, you will be  messing
with the horn actuation parts. Pop off the cap - a careful screwdriver  under the
side. Remove the two long screws and lift off the button carrier (that  piece
drops through the adjuster).Then remove the two locking screws. - The
adjuster will drop down but be retained under the large scalloped  bolt.  Now, with
a large Phillips tip screwdriver, I believe, remove  that scalloped bolt. It
shouldn't be too tight. Now lift the adjuster  off, then the horn button
grounding piece. Now you can tighten up the nut to the  column. And put the whole
thing back together. I believe there is an exploded  view in the parts book
somewhere. - Seth