<VV>Wheelz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Aug 27 15:03:34 EDT 2005

>I gotta set of mid 70's Corvette steel wheels on a late model .. look neat
>because of the " baby corvette" thing

In the early 70's I used to be able to buy any number of 15x8 Corvette
steel wheels for $15 ea in Detroit (might have been at Gratiot Auto Supply
but not sure). Used to keep people in local club in Anderson supplied and
had on my B/P 'vette for rain, street, and trailer tires. Were not light,
need aluminum wheels for that.

Think GM went to the high offset 5x4.75s so that they could machine either
5x115mm or 5x4.75" and use the same wheel on FWD, RWD, and AWD. Expect they
just pushed out the hubs of RWD cars to match. Wouldn't be the first time -
when disk brakes became popular there were a lot of standard wheels that
would hit the calipers. Remember wheels being marked "not for use with disk
brakes". This is why if you ordered a '67 Camaro with optional disk brakes
(four piston and a pain to work on) you also got the Corvette-style wheels
& caps.

Padgett