<VV> Help!!!!! I need help in correcting a severe lack of power problem.

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Aug 29 08:54:45 EDT 2005

>Finally get it to idle fairly well at  1000 rpm.  It doesn¹t want to
>idle  slower.

In view of everything else you have done I almost hesitate to ask but have
you checked the mechanical advance ? Sometimes if a distributor sits for a
while (usually takes years), corrosion or grit can get between the shafts
and it will lock in one position. I used to see this a lot with HEIs - red
grit that got into everything.

In the same vein, mechanical advance that come in too soon (e.g. broken
spring) can make it impossible to adjust the idle. One point it is fine but
high, quarter turn on the idle adjust and it dies.

Either means you do not get proper advance when under load.

Padgett