<VV> re;JACKING POINTS

tom zimmermann s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 07:07:36 EDT 2005

...for the front,all years,I get under the center of the front crossmember,but if you've got it lowered or can't get around the spoiler/airdam, get under the lower control arms where the shock is ,or in the 'crotch' where they pivot at the subframe...sometimes driving on pieces of plank will give you enough added height to start with..the unibody frame,like near the steering box,would also be a lifting or blocking point ;;for the rear on lates , lifting each lower arm at the outboard bend works-just watch the jack --if it starts to tip sideways,ABORT,and either try again or jack the proper body location,and block the trailing arm where it's bolted to the body (note "block',like solid RR tie chunk,metal tripod may want to slide there);;OR,if you have a long-arm floor jack,get it centered under the diff,ahead of the Y-pipe..not the bellhsg or oilpan area,if you can help it.. for earliy rear,jack under the (lower)control "A" arm;;;however you do it,watch the jack for signs of
 tipping/moving,chock the other end,and BEFORE you get under the car,test it's stability by heaving on the car sideways,like by the tail light/body line...a piece of 3/4" wood like shelving or an old dresser drawer front,or 1/4" steel diamond plate, will help stands from sinking into asphalt (causing it to tip after you're under it,later..)..the rear unibody rails are usually to high,and the muffler is in the way on the right side...FWIW,I prefer solid blocks to tripod stands,with specific wood pieces against the body to avoid bending seams,and 'grip' better than metal-to-metal...I can send pix of the 65 that's blocked up now if it'll help..Tom Z/CORSA/ACORNS,3 lates,62 spyder comming in today,before it rains..