<VV> Ignition timing question.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 13:11:11 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/29/2005 6:55:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pottsf at msn.com writes:

How can  IGNITION timing make it harder to crank an engine. If IGNITION is
affecting  cranking, then the fuel-air mixture is igniting, and the engine is
RUNNING.  Am I missing something?

Joe Potts

Yes, experience! <grin> I guess it is because of the point of  ignition, but
cranking becomes very hard when too much initial advance is  applied. I think
that the firings during cranking, if they occur  much before TDC (which they
will while cranking) will cause cylinder  pressure to rise before the engine
reaches TDC - working (pushing  back) against the starter motor. Another option
on race cars is to engage  the starter separately from the ignition, get the
motor cranking, then turn on  the ignition. A byproduct of this one is great
flaming pops out the exhaust, as  well!  - Seth