<VV> For Sale: 65 Corsa Coupe in mid-restoration

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Tue Aug 30 19:34:26 EDT 2005

Hi Bill,
SURE!  The simple approach is to remove the axle yokes, pull out one axle,  and take a stout metal pipe with sufficient inside diameter for the axles to go inside.  This pipe should be about 30 inches long and maybe an inch and a half or a little larger in diameter.  You do not want it to fit snugly into both axles, since it will make axle alignment too difficult to push the axles together.  Double check the pipe length.  You will need to remove the axle yokes so take along a puller, and a steering wheel puller works most of the time.  Use PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep superpenetrants to get them off.  A heavier puller bolted to the end of the axle yokes if needed and bang as you tighten it.  For the most difficult, use heat or plan on destroying the axle yokes.  Remember to remove the retaining bolt and heavy washer when attempting to remove it.

The tricky part is to align the axles roughly in line so the pipe can go onto both of them and be trapped between the two A-arms.  The trick is to have a jack under the lower A-arm and lower the body down using a second jack.  It might take a buddy or two pushing down on the rear bumper, in the absence of the power train weight.  With help, you should get the pipe on one axle, press down on the body and see the axles start to line up, then push the outboard axle inward and secure it using the four normal axle bolts.    Once done, you will find the Earlies push around EASILY!

Note, this is NOT for flat trailering on the ground or pulling at high speeds with the tail on the ground rolling along.  Only for pushing around or up onto a trailer.

Larry