<VV> EPA Mileage

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 21:56:47 EDT 2005

> And the car runs just fine?  not much difference than with the bigger
> jets????
>
> I'd say fuel levels in carbs is too high.........too much pressure.....weak
> needle/seats...

Car runs well; noticed no drop off in performance from 53 down to 49 jets.
The Safeguard is not screaming at me (have a remote knock display), and the O2
sensors say I can lean a little further (I may); heads are modified for an .032
quench area. Floats have been set down from spec; using ball-type "Needle &
Seat" and a fuel pressure regular set @ 3-lbs. Nothing dripping from the
cluster at idle. Other info: The distributor springs and weights are correct for a
110 with A/C. I've checked the advance curve....looks good: 16 initial + 19
mechanical + 14 VA = 49. Compression is outstanding; no cylinder exceeds 3% leak
down. Car rolls easily; can just about hand push with a finger.  ( I believe
the A/C and high stall converter are hurting the mileage. About the only thing
I haven't cross checked is the cam timing....can anyone quote the procedure
for doing so by dropping the oil pan and checking alignment against, I think,
the block mating point? Thanks for the response.
Mike Mauro