<VV> Unfamiliar noises from engine compartment

Kevin and Nancy Gallagher galfam at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 22:13:17 EDT 2005

Last weekend, I had some unfamiliar noises coming the engine compartment.  Something that hasn't been heard back there for over 25 years,  a running turbocharged Corvair engine!  After numerous minor battles and with a lot of help both online and off (thanks to all), I finally have a running engine.  In fact, I have even driven it down our residential street a few times.  I can't go further than that because I have been sitting on the spare tire with a gas can strapped to the hood (the tank isn't done yet) and I have no lights or mirrors.  It's still fun just the same.

For those who don't know, I bought this 62 Spyder around 2 years ago with the complete engine in several boxes along with many brand new parts purchased in 1979  (including totally new exhaust from the logs to the chrome tip, still in the wrappers).  It was an interesting puzzle that my son (16) and I have enjoyed and are really excited about the next step...bodywork...and driving.

By the way, what are the qualifications to exit Group Red; street legal, safe and licensed or simply driveable?

Just thought you would like to know.

Kevin Gallagher
Gahanna, OH
62 Spyder Coupe - ugly, but driving
63 Monza Vert - distant project or parts car?