<VV> Getting the car on jack stands right?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 31 03:01:22 EDT 2005

At 05:26 hours 08/30/2005, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>I have not made an attempt to contact him.  It was just a car that
>he owned for a couple of years.  Why would he want some person he
>doesn't even know bothering him 40 years later about a car he has
>long since disposed of?
>
>Bill Hubbell
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun" <shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca>

I bought a car ('66 Plymouth Satellite) in Sept '73 which still had
the communiplate in it, with the original purchasers name, address
etc. which happened to be a local address.   On a lark, I checked the
phone book, addy was still valid so called him up and told him I had
the car and that I'd like to know if he had bought it as-is off a lot
or what, since it had options not usually seen in a musclecar.    The
fellow was pleased to hear about the car, told me how it had been a
special order vehicle he'd hand-picked out of a catalog in Sept of
'65...  the sales guy showed him the options, so he picked out how he
wanted it and had to wait a month to get it etc.   He'd kept it for
several years and traded it in  on a GMC pickup at a dealer ran by a
fellow he know personally who told him that a young fellow from
Christiansburg (30 miles up the road) bought it a week later and then
later on went to 'Nam and never came back.   His parents kept the car
for nearly two years "around back" before finally bringing it back to
town and selling it to the first used car lot they came to that
looked promising, which happened to be run by the guy I bought it
from after I came back home from overseas.

Similar Vair story...   we got the red '60 Monza from Curt
shortly  before he passed, talked about it a time or two to some
CORSA sorts at a national convention, had a fellow tell me he knew
the car and the people who had owned it Back When, even turned up and
sent me an old photo of the car with its original owner posing beside
it when the car was about one year old.    Small world...

You might well learn a thing or two, one never knows.

tony..