<VV> '64 4 Speed Identification

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 31 13:06:36 EDT 2005

At 09:03 hours 08/30/2005, dcvjrv at covad.net wrote:
>I recently discovered that my '64 Corvair Spyder Convertible
>has a '63 transmission in it and I was wondering how I can
>identify a '64 4 speed transmission.  Is there a stamped
>number on the case that will tell me that or not.

For all intents and purposes, the function of the two gearboxes is
the same.   However:

The 2nd generation 4-speeds were stronger, so as to accommodate the
larger displacement engine.    If you  don't flail the car like a
teenager who stole it, the earlier gearbox should work out fine.

Somebody correct me on this if necessary...   but I believe that the
quick way to ID a 2nd gen ('64-'65) 4-speed gearbox is through the
lack of a drain plug.   '61-'63 gearboxes have drain plugs.     At
least I *think* the drain plug was deleted in '64 with  the
introduction of the beefier version of this gearbox; the '65 variant
for sure has no drain plug.  Of course in '66 the Vair-specific
6-bolt Saginaw gearbox came along.

Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the '64-up drain plug.

One never knows what's what anymore; a friend has a '63 Spyder that
has a '61 vintage transaxle in it according to the numbers stamped on
the diff pad.

tony..