<VV> Jacking Points or stands

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Aug 31 16:16:42 EDT 2005

Your definitions are reasonable but I still don't see how you come the conclusion that someone has no mechanical aptitude (no understanding of mechanical things) simply because he can't believe that someone would jack a car up by its differential.  Others here have expressed that they don't think that's a good idea and at least some of them have shown that they have some mechanical aptitude.  If he had said he couldn't understand how jacking a car at the differential would lift it off the ground, I might see your point.  He seemed more concerned that you might damage something doing it.  That doesn't show me a lack of understanding of the mechanical process involved.  It may show a lack of knowledge of the loads involved verses the loads the affected parts can take but that's a subtlety, not worthy of a "no mechanical aptitude" blanket statement in my opinion.

mike

Aptitude  is UNDERSTANDING  mechanical things....

ABILITY  comes from training / experience

2  different things!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug