<VV> Re: Front end alignment problem

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Dec 1 23:28:25 EST 2005

>Hi all,
>I've recently completed my restoration (8 years) on a 64 spyder vert and went to setup the front end caster, camber and toe.  We were using a modern rack and all was going well until the machine said I needed almost 3/4" of shim for the left camber.  We said nuts to that and put almost half of that and the damn thing said we were right on at 0.01 deg.  What gives?
>But the real issue is when the caster dialed in nicely on the right coming out pretty much centered on the thrust rod threads, but the left showed us at -2 degrees.  We start to lengthen the rod and it went more negative, then toward positive but still negative but not to positive before we ran out of threads.  We raised the body, set it back down, bounced the car ... same problem.  Can't get positive caster on the left. Let alone 1-1/2 to 2 degs. Everything is new and in perfect shape.  The factory service manual says due to manufacture variances it may be necessary to place different amounts of shim on the two camber bolts to induce more caster.  Does anyone have experience with one side being way out on caster?
>I also tried loosening the six bolts holding the crossmember, raising the body to let the member hang and tried to induce a shift to maybe change the situation.  The x-member is not going to relocate, won't move at all because the six bolts pretty much locate it in one and only one place.  I thought this because the books don't supply any x-member alignment procedure anyway.
>Ideas?
>Thanx, Patrick

The first suggestion is to start with the rear wheel alignment. Since
you have had the car apart, the rear wheels need alignment including the
re-arching of the transverse leaf if needed.  Even if this is a rear
wheel drive car from the 60's, it is 4 wheel adjustable (both early,
late and FC). In theory on an early you need a rear wheel alignment
anytime the drivetrain is R&I or parts replaced. Wonder how many clutch
jobs had wheel alignments?

Now that the rear wheels are propelling the car in a straight forward
direction, do the front alignment. Again, basics first. Are all the
control arm bushings and bolts tight? Ball joints without slop? Etc.
Caster is the angle of the steering axis from vertical in the
forward/rearward direction. The steering axis from vertical in the side
to side direction is steering axis inclination. Confused? Most mechanics
are...  Hence the "set the toe and let it go" remarks at not so good
alignment shops (used to be $19.95 specials). The caster can be changed
by adjusting the nut on the strut rod connected to the lower control arm
so as to move the lower ball joint forward and aft of the upper ball
joint. A line drawn between the upper and lower ball joint is the
steering axis. So, caster can also be changed by moving the upper ball
joint in relation to the lower ball joint, this is done by putting
different size shim packs behind the upper control arm mounting bolts.
Two means same end. Of course you may see that by moving the ball joints
you are also changing the steering axis angle left and right, so the
steering axis inclination is also changing. And the camber is also
changing. Everything affects everything. Having been in the collision
business I can tell you I have replaced many a steering knucle because
it was bent. Not visibly noticable, but alignment was not possible until
swapped out. As a last resort you could swap a knuckle or both and see
if all is well. My first suggestion is to try different shim packs.
Think about which way you need the strut rod to go and change shims
accordingly. I think wheel alignment is the most not understood part of
collision repair,  hence why people think a bent frame cannot be
repaired.  Most can be with the right technician and the right money!
Off soap box...

Frank DuVal