<VV> Looking for help in adopting some soldiers for Christmas in Baghdad (No Corvair)

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 16:33:02 EST 2005

Hey guys and gals,
I normally don't clutter the list with non-corvair stuff, but since my
wonderful wife Cheryl asked me, I figured what the heck.
Cheryl's employer, U. S. Cavalry (www.uscav.com) received a request from a
troop of very special soldiers who are stationed in Baghdad, Iraq and are the
trainers for the "new Iraqi Armed Forces". They are part of the MNSTC-I, or the
Multi-National Security Training Command-Iraq (I thinks thats what all that
stands for)... There are 15 soldiers, and they are from all 4 branches (Army,
Air Force, Navy & USMC <sorry, no Coast Guard>)... they are 14 men and one
woman. Cheryl is trying to make this an extra special Christmas for them by getting
something from each of their hometowns. She just got back early this morning
(3:00am) from Houston, MO, a 900+ mile round trip, just to get some things
from one guy's hometown.
Anyway, we are looking for some help getting something, ANYTHING, from the
below hometowns. We have some of the people in our Sunday School class baking
cookies and such for some of them, and some of the little kids are coloring some
pictures for them. The towns we haven't been able to get anything from are
below... if anyone is interested in helping out with this, well, it would make
some very special soldiers very happy when they are about as far away from home
as one can get.

The towns are: Claymont, DE; Baltimore, MD; Long Island, NY; Orlando, FL;
North Augusta, SC.

These guys are stationed at the Assassins' Gate in Baghdad, and they've sent
Cheryl some pretty cool pictures, which I'm sure she'd share with you if you
would like to see them...
If you live nearby one of these towns and wish to help, you can email Cheryl
directly either here at home:
SKEAMELA at AOL.COM
or at work:
canderson at uscav.net
or you can email me and I'll send it to her...
She has shirt sizes if you want to buy a shirt from a local team or tourist
site, or if there is a regional food (you'll want to check with her first to
make sure it won't be stuck in Customs or something prohibited from entering a
Muslim nation... so no Virginia Hams... one guy is from VA, but we have him
covered)... if you just want to write a note to them- there are 15 of them, and I
can provide all the hometowns if you wish, but right now the 5 towns above
are the ones that we are stuck on.... if you want to send a little money, that
will help, too. Two of the soldiers are from Maine, and I know Cheryl has
already ordered some stuff from LLBean for these guys... Thankfully I'm in a little
better financial situation than I was earlier this year, to which I will
always be in debt to you guys, but I'm sure the Lord will provide for these guys
too...
These items will be shipped out around December 14th to the troops, so time
is against us.
Any and all help will be appreciated. I think there are enough veterans on
here who can appreciate what she's trying to do... for a little gal she's got a
heart the size of Texas.
Sorry for the non-Corvair post (speaking of which, I need to crawl under the
64 and turn on the heater, since the heater cable broke last spring in the
closed position, and driving in the 20s is not something I enjoy)...
Take care, God Bless, and thanks!
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg.... brrrrrrrroken heater ca-ca-cable
1969 Monza cp 110/pg