<VV> GPS for Corvair?

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Dec 4 21:34:29 EST 2005

I concur with the PC/gps combo.  We used that setup last Christmas time when we went to visit grandpa.  It was great seeing our progress across the snow covered freeways of Indiana after the big snow storms they had.  We  were going about 10 mph and so it was reassuring seeing that we were actually making progress.  The plus side is the HUGE display of a laptop versus a gps unit and the input capabilities of a PC versus the little buttons and what not on the gps thingies.  A down side is that a PC screen will washout in the sun.  You also need a second person operating the pc/gps and you could probably handle a gps only unit on your own.  The gps we use with the PC is a Garmin GPS II+ that we use on our boat.  It doesn't have maps, which is fine for on the water but would be a downside for use on the road. It outputs wonderful gps data to the PC though and the PC has maps, hotel info and all kinds of goodies.  The software we use is Microsoft Streets and Trips.  Normally I'm not a fan of Microcrap stuff but this program works pretty good.

mike

The different ways to "skin this cat" have expanded rapidly in the last
couple of years. The PC (laptop)-based solution, with an external GPS
gadget, are nice because you can choose your own software from a number of
vendors. And updating is pretty easy--just a website visit to the software
vendor or perhaps a CD through the mail.

<snip>

--Kent