<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 11, Issue 32

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Dec 5 23:27:24 EST 2005

From: Chris & Bill Strickland
All older GM's
(or should I say American made) with dual systems that I am familiar
with go near the floor when bleeding, and are pretty soft in partial
failure mode.
If you figure this one out, I for one, would like to know how to get
that performance with a GM master cylinder, if it can be done. Good Luck!
  Smitty says:  Since I am not a big deal advocate for either dual master cyls or anti lock I am probably not an ideal person to say this Bill.  But you don't suppose that the soft pedal in the fail mode is to reenforce to the idiot American driver that the red light is trying to say something.  Maybe make him conscious that he should get something done about it.  I have had one brake failure in the last 50 years.  It was a partial failure in  my wifes Chevette (American).  I noticed when I got in it that the pedal was a little low but I was not used to the car.  It showed no warning light.  A few blocks from the house I made a fairly abrupt stop and found that only the rears were working.  If the pedal had felt all squishy when I pressed it the first time I would have known something was wrong.