<VV> Ackerman

Mike Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 6 12:50:05 EST 2005

Padgett wrote:

> <SNIP> In Real Racing the ackerman is not that important since the
> inside tire in a turn will have very little weight on it and tire wear
> is usually not important. Besides the steering angles at high speeds
> are small.
>
> In a low speed autocross where much wheel flailing may occur at low
> speeds, the ackerman needs to be correct because scrub will increase
> understeer and both front tires are having an effect, something you
> really do not need. Repeat after me: "Upsetting the front end geometry
> causes understeer". <SNIP>

I've been running IECO quick arms for about 25+ years and find that for
most autocross courses the ackerman change makes little difference when
I run 13" tires. If I run my street 14" tires (which likely have a
little too much offset) the push is much more apparent. Just like was
mentioned in road racing there are many cases in autocrossing when
ackerman makes no difference since only the outside tire is in contact
with the ground (many pictures to prove it). When set up properly the LM
corvair (never dealt with an early) can be very neutral with
controllable power on understeer and power off oversteer. Having said
all of this I would love to have the ~3 turns steering I have now and
not have the ackerman problem so that it would turn better in parking
lots. I have noticed that a lot of newer vehicles (specifically our `99
GMC Savana) have front end geometries that result in similar tire
scrubbing on the outside tire in tight (parking lot) turns.

Mike Kost