<VV> Steering Shaft - the human spear.

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Dec 6 19:33:56 EST 2005

Counter point.  On my first wedding adversary in 1965, we were
returning to Albuquerque from a house hunting trip.  On a four lane
West Texas Highway at 70 mph, I noticed a 1964 full size Chevy make a
left turn into the median and stop.  When I was about 150 feet from
the car Mrs Doyle decided to continue across the road, slowly.  We
met at the intersection after 68 ft of skid marks..  I got the 62
Monza convertible down to about 45 mph when we hit her in the right
front wheel with the left front of the Monza.  The impact was severe
enough that it spun the Monza around and the left rear impacted the
Chevy's right rear wheel.  This impact shoved the battery into the
engine breaking the left intake off the cylinder head.  Yes, battery
acid everywhere.  The front was crushed enough that the bumper
punctured the left tire aft of the wheel.  The gas tank was driven
down to the highway but did not rupture.  The steering wheel and
shaft moved into the passenger compartment six inches.   I had a
death grip on the wheel pressing the brake petal with all my
might.   The force of the collision collapsed the steering wheel and
I forced it out to left window parallel to the glass. My pregnant
wife's seat belt was loose and stretched enough to let her head
impact the windshield shattering it.  We survived only with cuts and
bruises, even our Siamese car who was sleeping in the convertible top
well at the time of the crash survived.  We bought the 65 Corsa
convertible the next week to replace the Monza.  Oh yes, a heathy
baby boy, Rad, was born six months later
Jim Davis