<VV> New to site

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Wed Dec 7 08:05:34 EST 2005

Mark, welcome to the list!  I'm 43 and we have members of the list in their
teens and 20's, so don't get feeling too young on us.  ggggg

I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I can't imagine that a Corvair
would compare favorably with a modern car from a crashworthiness standpoint:

	No side impact beams
	No computer-designed crumple zones
	No shoulder belts
	No self-adjusting seat belts with inertial cinching
	No collapsible steering column
	No airbags
	No ABS
	No radial tires (originally)

I am sure there's more that could be added to this list.

I agree with you that the Corvair is an amazing car, but I wouldn't fall
into the trap of thinking that there was progress in automotive engineering
up until the day the Corvair was designed, at which point there were no
further advancements.  A lot of improvements have been made in the area of
safety.

I would say that I have heard of nothing that would lead me to believe the
Corvair is any more unsafe than its contemporaries.  From a handling
standpoint, in my experience Corvairs were better than their contemporaries,
not worse.  I believe it's true that the rear axles can come out on earlies
if signs of extreme bearing wear are ignored and the rear wheel bearings are
not replaced as required.  (Someone will correct me if I am wrong on that.)
Of course, any car is subject to catastrophic failure if proper maintenance
is not performed.

Norm Witte

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/