Fwd: <VV> Steering Shaft - the human spear.

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 10:11:20 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/6/2005 7:40:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, jld at wk.net
writes:
the the '65 steering shaft serves as a spear to the driver in front end
>collisions.
I don't think the straight shaft is any more dangerous than other cars of the
time.  I prefer the late '65 and '66 short shaft for its better safety and I
really like the collapsable columns of the '67, '68 &'69 cars (and the side
beams in the doors of at least the '68 and '69--I think the '67s had them too).
I've told the story before of my early '65 Monza being totalled at high speed
when I hit a farm tractor with cast iron weights on the wheels and water
filled tires (for traction in the field).  I was doing 60+ and remember the speedo
spooling down through the 45 mph range as I hit the tractor.  The steering
wheel did move back about four inches and the dished wheel collapsed saving my
chest (except for the bruises).  The whole front of the car was shoved back
into the front crossmember, the gas tank was pushed back into the floor under the
pedals and that part of the floor moved inward too.  I walked away from it
with enough presence of mind to roundly chew out the tractor operator (after
checking that he was all right) who had crossed the two lane road directly in
front of me.  With only a lap belt I almost lost my left eye when my glasses
shattered against the steering wheel (it moved upward) and drove the glass into
the eye socket.  Had I had a shoulder belt I would have had bruises (big
ones)only.

Had he been a little earlier or later I would have been able to maneuver
around him.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair